“Who wants to give the cats some treats?!” exclaimed one of the cafe employees, cheerily handing out handfuls of food pellets to the other cafe-goers. Grateful for the interruption, I eagerly held out my hands to catch the treats, ready for my popularity to skyrocket with these felines. When the lady offered the cat treats to Meow Mix, he declined.
“Oh, no thank you. I have a cat at home.”
I stared at him blankly. Why would having a cat make you averse to feeding any other cat? Was he like one of those parents that only likes his kid? This was the moment when I realized Meow Mix did not find the cat cafe date as quirky and fun as I did. I had to find a way out.
“I actually have a good amount of work to do. I should be getting home.” I yawned for effect.
“Are you sure you don’t want to get ice cream or something?” he inquired. Puzzled as to how he was interested in keeping this going, I politely declined.
After a short stroll home, I was welcomed by Anchovy (my Terrier mix roommate), who gave me dirty looks the rest of the night after smelling other animal scents on me. Having disappointed two men in one evening, I figured I should call it an early night.
- I finally visited KitTea after living a few blocks away for a few months. Support local businesses!
- The cats were fantastic.
- Hanging out with black cats really put me in the mood for Halloween.
- I went to bed early that night in defeat. So I guess I got more rest than usual?
- Make sure the guy is actually into the date idea before going. Just because he has a cat doesn’t mean he actually LIKES cats.
- Before asking someone out to do something cute and fun, have a bit more online conversation. I only talked to this guy for a few messages before setting up the date, and I think I would have found out that we weren’t super compatible if I had talked to him a little more.
- DON’T wear a skirt to a cat cafe. I have battle scars to remind me of the awkwardness for eternity.
Originally published at https://www.raemshane.com on October 6, 2018.